Phillip Glass and Post Rock

My first instinct when listening to piano pieces by Phillip Glass was that it reminded me of the genre Post Rock. I see his influence in this genre; the genre consists usually of instrumental bands whose songs tend to have a constant “building sound” to them. More and more happens in a piece as time goes on. It is true that Phillip Glass’ pieces do not always follow this “building sound” format but within his pieces the energy seems to rise and fall in a way that reminded me strongly of the genre. This trend coupled with drone sounds are essential elements to the Post Rock sound. Some of my favorite artists in the Post Rock genre include Mogwai, Sigur Ros, God Speed You Black Emperor, and Do Make Say Think. Also the composer Clint Mansell displays similar sound patterns in his compositions for movies like Requiem for a Dream and The Fountain.

Here are two of my favorite songs of the genre that seem to have simplistic undertones reminiscent of Phillip Glass’ work.



And

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Presentation Discussion

Final Project_Liuyi

MUTO, a wall-painted animation