Exotica

one of my favorite FAVORITE things about music is its ability to transport you. Whether it is from one feeling to another, one emotional state to another or even to a brand new culture, way of thinking, seeing, understanding. I have a fascination with traveling and immersing myself in new cultures, traditions and peoples. When I heard about the Exotica music movement I felt an inkling to research it.
Growing up on reggae music i'm use to the idea of fusion. One of the beautiful things about growing up in Jamaica is understanding how different cultures can come together to form a dynamic and rich singular identity.
Martin Denny figured out away to bring together the sounds of the South Pacific and the Orient. He allowed his listeners to be transported to lands far away, creating a new reality for his listeners.
While I appreciate the thought behind his music, i don't think I could sit down and listen to one of his albums. I think you have to be in a special place for that. I do believe that his music would be great for stage. As I listened to his song Exotica I could see an entire dance routine take life in front of me. This again speaks to the power of his music. Its ability to transport and to fuel creativity thinking.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Presentation Discussion

Final Project_Liuyi

MUTO, a wall-painted animation