La Monte Young and John Cage

Listening to La Monte Young’s “The Second Dream of the High Tension Line Step” reminded me of a quote from the 1997 BBC documentary called "Modern Minimalists." Bjork describes Arvo Part’s music by saying, “I like your music very very much because you give space to the listener. He can go inside and live there. But a lot of music from the last few centuries - you just have to sit and listen.” I think this is how Young’s piece feels since it becomes the space for me to think within.

In reading about Young’s influences and encounters, I especially was interested in his interaction and collaboration with John Cage. He initially met Cage’s pianist David Tudor, who told him to contact Cage. They then presented each others’ songs on their respective tours. I think that Cage probably influenced Young’s later incorporation of non-traditional sounds and noises.

See below for an interesting video of someone preparing a piano with different sizes of bolts for a performance of John Cage's Sonatas for "Prepared Piano."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Presentation Discussion

Final Project_Liuyi

MUTO, a wall-painted animation