Homer's Odyssey

I'm sure you all will laugh (because my husband did, and he's the kindest man in the world) but Marco Brambilla's piece moved me to tears! Perhaps it simply caught me off guard, because I really wasn't expecting to see something profound. The blog said "watch this video," so I clicked the link expecting to see a YouTube clip. Once you get to know me you'll discover that I'm never at a loss for words, but "Civilization" struck a deep chord within me... I couldn't speak. It is absolutely breathtaking. I was awed.

I'm a PhD student in Mass Communication. In the social sciences, and particularly in Mass Comm, we invest a great deal of our research efforts into observing the development of our society... and "pop culture," for whatever that means. We theorize and spend a lot of time flapping our gums about why people do what they do, and how we communicate what we're doing and what we've become. I've watched "Civilization" five or six times now, and it occurs to me that Brambilla has done a better job of expounding upon our society in 2.5 minutes than I've done through years and years of academic research.

Bravo, Brambilla. I'm not sure if this was meant to be an homage to Homer, (not Simpson, haha!) but it certainly would be fitting. This is Homer's Odyssey for the Digital Age.

Oh, and if you haven't done so already, try watching it without the sound. It has a completely different feel (I think) which I find very interesting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Presentation Discussion

Final Project_Liuyi

MUTO, a wall-painted animation