Fluxus Films

I viewed three films which were categorized in theme” Dance with camera”. Before I viewed these films; I started to imagine what they would be presented. I guessed designers would dancing and carrying with camera at the same time. After I viewed these films, I knew I was wrong. The author, Harris, shot a dancer from different camera angles among twenty-five filing sessions over the course of a year, and then he put the sequences together as a montage. This film is quite different to usual films which also shot dancers. Most of films would focus on the movements of a dancer; however, Harris used a lot of zoom in frames to create a new insight. He may want to express different thoughts behind the dancer’s body through camera. The background music was congruent with that images, it did convey emotions within movements. Another one was a silent film which featured a dancing girl. This film was titled “water motor”, but I did not understand why it got this name. The introduction stated that” The first portion was filmed in "real time," at 24 frames per second, and the second at half-speed, or 48 frames per second. In the second take, Brown's movements appear elongated in time, the slowed frame rate making visible what was previously inaccessible to the naked eye” After viewed this film, I guessed maybe the movements of the dancer looked like water flow and it was powerful so that the author titled it “water motor”. In addition, when the dancer started to dance, it really caught my eyes although it was silent. The successful part of this film maybe it conveyed the messages of the film without any music or sounds.

by Wei-Hsuan Yang

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Expectations

Presentation Discussion