Copyright is for Copying

I found Copyright is for Copying to be an excellent read. I really liked the point about how copyright was intended to be used to prevent copying of entire works and then selling them. This is not what copyright is being used for today. It is being used to stop those who freely distribute copyrighted works. Also it is being used to make appropriation more difficult. If i take a 4 second sample of a song and use it in a 3 minute song of my own, am I stealing? According to current copyright law I better be prepared to pay or yes I am. One student ended up paying $675k for sharing a few songs online. This is utter garbage. At most the infringer should pay $20 a song well above the value of them but well below bankruptcy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Expectations

Presentation Discussion